EU Organic

Do you know, what does it actually mean?

[1]

EU organic, EU Organic logo, EU Organic symbol, Green Firebreak, packaging label, product label, reduce plastic


This week’s symbol is one that some of you might be familiar with, already. It’s called European Union Organic logo.


The EU Organic logo was introduced in 2010 and makes it so the farmers can sell their organic products across the EU easily, therefore consumers can identify and have access to them.


In order for a product to attain this symbol, said product has to go through a certification procedure that entitles rigorous checks on the producing, processing, transportation and storage of the goods. This procedure is performed by an authorised control agency or body.


EU organic, EU Organic logo, EU Organic symbol, Green Firebreak, packaging label, product label, reduce plastic

When you buy a product with this symbol, according to the European Commission, you can expect a product with at least 95% of organic ingredients. Moreover, the remaining 5% will also be subjected to a strict set of conditions.


“Next to the EU organic logo, a code number of the control body must be displayed as well as the place where the agricultural raw materials composing the product have been farmed.”

When a company wants to display this logo, they must follow a few rules, in order “to prevent consumer confusion, help maintain trust in organic food and support the authorities in their inspection regimes.”


This logo must be used for:

  • Pre-packaged EU organic food products produced and sold within the EU.


Voluntarily can be used for:

  • Imported produce if it respects EU regulations on the importation of organic products.

  • EU organic products sold on third-country markets.

  • Informational campaigns aimed to educate the general population about organic policies “as long as it is not misleading or used to imply that a non-organic product fulfils the requirements of an organic product”.


Just like there are rules that apply for the usage of the logo, there are also rules to stop the improper use of it, such as:

  • Products that contain less than 95% organic ingredients.

  • Mass catering operations like restaurants and hospitals.

  • Products from the cosmetic sector, hunting and fishing.

  • Products in “conversion” (where organic methods have only just been introduced and there may still be non-organic substances in the soil or animal chain.)


EU organic, EU Organic logo, EU Organic symbol, Green Firebreak, packaging label, product label, reduce plastic

Overall


It is a symbol that has got some trustworthiness. It doesn’t have an obscure meaning behind it. Besides, if you’re trying to live a “cleaner” lifestyle, with fewer pesticides, this symbol will be of great help for you in your quest to find products you can trust.



[1] The organic logo | European Commission (europa.eu)