3 Graphs, 5 Facts
Updated: Feb 16
What you need to know about Plastics Production
(World & Europe)
The first thing that you might’ve realised just from looking at Graphic 1. is that the Global Production of Resin (plastic) tends to increase. What you might have missed is that from 2014 to 2019 the amount of plastic produced was superior to the amount produced between 1950 and 2013.
· 1950 - 2013: about 1.98 billion metric tonnes
· 2014 - 2019: about 2.04 billion metric tonnes
Polypropylene (PP), low-density polyethylene (LDPE)/ linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE) and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) are on the top three of Plastics Demand by Resin Type in Europe in 2019.
· PP mostly for food packaging, wrappers, microwave containers.
· LDPE mostly for reusable bags, trays, containers and food packaging.
· HDPE mostly for toys, milk bottles, shampoo bottles.
In Graphic 3. you can see that 39.6% of the 50.7 million tonnes of plastics demand goes to packaging. Followed by 20.9% for the construction industry and 9.6% for the car industry.
1. Between 2014 and 2019 – worldwide - we manage to produce more than half of plastics ever made.
2. 50.7 million tonnes of plastics were demanded by Europe. 
3. PP, LDPE and HDPE were the plastics with the most demand in Europe. 
4. The majority of plastics demand in Europe was converted into single-use plastic: packaging. 
5. In 2019 alone we produced more plastic than we did between 1950 and 2002.
 Data correspondent to 2019.